
Yesterday during the drive home from work, Sam was strapped into his car seat singing when I pointed out the full moon to him. It had just risen over the bluffs as the sun was setting to the west, and it was big and fat and glowing yellow. "Moon, moon," he kept saying, his voice full of excitement, as if he couldn't contain his breath. And when a wispy cloud floated in front of it and all but the tiny top curve of the harvest moon appeared, Sam pointed again. "Ah, ah," he said. "Moon peekaboo. Moon peekaboo." All the way home he pointed and talked to the moon.
After we had eaten our dinner of grilled cheese and fresh roasted acorn squash and tender asparagus tips, we sat down in the living room to play on the floor. Sam brought out two cardboard boxes filled with tiny little books, stackable books that have themes. The book for purple has a page for a flower and a page for grapes and a page for a balloon. The book for the number 2 has mittens and socks and shoes. The S book is one of Sam's favorites because of the strawberries. I picked up the little Circle book and we read it. Cookie. Wheel. Drum. Sun. Sam stood up and started his excited breathing and ran to the back patio and pointed. "Moon!" he said. "Moon!" "Very good," I said. "The moon is a circle. Very good."

This morning as I was cleaning up the toaster and putting my laptop away and getting ready to load up the car for the drive back to work, the kitchen and dining room started to fill with the orange light of the sunrise. I brought Sam to the back patio window and said, "Look at that. Isn't that pretty? That's the sun coming up." Sam looked at it for a second and pointed and then ran to the living room and brought the Circle book to me. He breathed excitedly and pointed out the window and then at the last page of the book. The sun.
My boy. :)
Photo courtesy of Ron Holmes. Thanks, Uncle Ron!
1 comment:
So beautiful, Barb! You are a wonderful mama. And Sam is a lucky boy. The moon WAS SO BEAUTIFUL! I noticed it too. Driving alone on my way home from work. I wanted to call John and tell him to look. And I actually thought, "I wonder if anyone else in this rush hour traffic is noticing." Of course you guys were! Soul Friends! Love, L
Post a Comment