Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cousins and Pandas and Red Robins

I'm having trouble keeping up. Surprise, surprise. Even with a weekend off with no visitors and no planned activities, we were busy enjoying summer, and the hours got away from us. But before another week passes I wanted to share a few of my favorite moments...

Sitting in his car seat out in front of Lucy's house, getting ready to go in, Sam's face looks sullen and I ask if he's sad. He says yes and I ask why. He says "I miss my cousins." Who knew he even heard this word during our wonderful weekend with Zack and Sarah. I'm with Sam though. We miss them!

Sitting in the rocking chair in Sam's bedroom after reading 3 books (the usual bedtime routine), he tells me to sing him a lullabye (not the usual routine). I sing him Lullabye and good night, go to sleep little Sammy before snuggling him up in his blankets and tucking his panda bear into the crook of his arm. "I sing panda bear," he says. And he quietly sings "Lullabye, Panda Bear. Go to sleep, don't wake up," over and over again in the quietest, sweetest voice.

Saturday night after he's been in his crib for 20 minutes and I'm going in to check on him for the 3rd time (this IS part of our bedtime routine... "Check me five minutes," he says as he holds out all five of his fingers every time I put him to bed at night), I walk up to his crib and he tells me Panda Bear is sleeping. "Me not sleeping, Mommy. Panda Bear sleeping." After we say "Check five minutes" and hold out our outstretched fingers and touch them, I turn to leave the room. Behind me I hear him sing something his Auntie Ann taught him an entire week earlier. "Red Robin. Yum!"

1 comment:

Katherine said...

He is cute, that one! Really, is there anything better than cousins? I think not.