Monday, June 27, 2011

We Should Get Another One

Grandpa Jim with Baby Sarah, Christmas 2003

This morning in the car:

"Mommy, why don't we have a grandpa?"

"You do. But Grandpa Jim is dead. Remember? He's up in heaven."

"Then we should get another one."

"Good idea. Where should we get one?"

"Maybe out there in that field. That farmer might know one."

I think my son is psychic. So often he brings up subjects that are on my mind without any leading from me. And since Dad went in to the hospital on June 14th and left the world as we knew it on July 4th, I think of him a lot during late June every year. I wish he could see these beautiful children that remind me so much of him.

4 comments:

Tara Jo said...

This made me cry! My kids won't have a grandpa on my side but hopefully they will have both on my future husband's side! Of course, my situation is a bit different than yours.

And p.s. I love the new look of the blog!

Anne said...

I tell Eliza that Papa is in the stars so he can see her everyday. I miss my Dad everyday.

Shannon Ralph said...

So very sweet. My children don't have grandpas on either side. It's something I wish they had the opportunity to experience.

Laraf123 said...

Children have incredible connections to family members--even ones that are not present. This post was very touching.