Friday, November 18, 2011

Morning Chat

In the car on the way to Jamie's. The fall air is crisp, and the sun is a big orange globe over the backwaters of the Mississippi River. Sam is telling me that he is excited about our upcoming trip to Milwaukee and then Florida. He is excited to see TT and Kelly tonight. He says he wants to sleep with Grandma and Auntie Ann and Zachary and Sarah when we get to Florida.

"Can we bring the pink bed?" he asks. This is the twin bed on the floor of my bedroom, the mattress fitted with a pink sheet from when it used to be in the baby's room.

"We don't need to," I tell him. "They have lots of beds there."

"I'm so excited."

"Me too," I say. "We're going to get to see all the people we love."

"But not Uncle Ron," he says. "He won't be there. I miss him. I wish we were going to see him at Thanksgiving."

And then we talk about Thanksgiving, how the Packers will play the Lions.

"Mommy, I wish we could be with Jack's daddy at Thanksgiving because then the Lions would win," he says. He is remembering my cousin John who is at Uncle Ron's every year. "I want the Lions to kick butt."

"No!!!!!" I tease and he laughs.

"Yah. The Lions are going to have 49 and the Packers are going to have zero! Would you like that, Mommy, if your team had zero and the lions had 49?"

He teases me with different combinations of teams, tells me the Cowboys are going to play the Scratchers, and he hopes the Cowboys beat the Scratchers. I tell him I don't want the Cowboys to win ever... unless they're playing the Vikings.

In the rear view mirror his bright eyes light up as he laughs. He is not wearing a coat, but his ski cap comes down over his forehead and he has a Toy Story bandaid on his cheek where he bumped it yesterday at school. He had placed it there last night when he got home, adamant he needed one and insistent that he could unwrap it and put in on himself.

"Sammy, you are so dang cute I could eat you up," I say.

"Don't eat me up!" he laughs.

"You would be yummy. You would taste like yogurt and applesauce and skittles."

"No I wouldn't. I would taste like blood."

4 comments:

Tara Jo said...

He is going to love reading this later in life! That boy surprises you every day...what a joy!!

:)

Laraf123 said...

That's one smart (and adorable) boy you've got there!

Megsie said...

Um...ripping on the Vikings? I know they suck, but don't you live in MINNESOTA? The shame. :)

I love these types of conversations with my kids too. They seem so grown up...

Tara Jo said...

TECHNICALLY...she lives in Wisconsin. But it is just a short drive and she works in Minnesota!!