Thanks for coming to visit us. I started this blog to follow my quest to become a Single Mother by Choice. When Sam was born this became the place to share our story and contemplate our unusual family as it evolves and grows... and with the arrival of Eva we became a family of three. Stay tuned for stories of growth and change, as well as frustration and exhaustion, compassion and love, joy and delight.
Friday, February 7, 2014
Just Bend Your Knees
Despite the nearly constant barrage of sub zero temperatures this winter, Sam has managed to ski most Thursdays while I sit in the heated car and chat with other moms or run to Hyvee to pick up groceries for dinner. And on the night they tackled the big hill I told him he'd have to teach me how to do that. I've never had a lesson. I've never learned the tricks to staying upright while soaring down the steep hills. So during one of the few sunny Saturdays in January in which the temperatures actually climbed in to the double digits above zero for a few hours, we laced up our skis and hit the slopes in our backyard. Sam is learning to ski without poles, so I left mine in the snow and made circles around the yard. And while Eva got in on the action trudging through the deep snow, Sam screamed at me to "Bend your knees! Just bend your knees, Mommy! It's easy."
Apparently when the hills get steep you just need to lower your center of gravity and focus and let go of any fear of falling. The things our children teach us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Love that you can ski in your backyard.
Me too, Madge. I don't know that that will be the case for long, but at least for this winter it's nice.
Yep, just like your label says--they are growing up! So much fun!
Post a Comment