Coming in strong with my second PR this spring
The planning for the weekend started back in the deep dark cold of winter. And the first thing I did before getting a hotel reservation or coordinating with the other 5 group members who wanted to register in the lottery was check with Jamie to see if she could watch the kids. I plan nothing without figuring out where my kids will be first. And when I dropped them off on Friday morning with their pajamas and Ipads and sandals and the epi-pen, they hardly noticed that I was disappearing for a few days. But after months of planning and some last minute drama related to hotels and transportation, I walked out to the curb in front of Jamie's house and exhaled and allowed myself to be excited about the trip to Duluth.
What a weekend. What a great group of people. I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've ever had running. And I even thought that during every single mile of the half marathon leading in to Duluth. The fog kept us from seeing much of Lake Superior during the run but the course is flat and the local fan support was amazing. I laughed at the signs and the people offering bacon and beer shots and watermelon slices and pork chops on a stick. And as I approached that last mile I felt like I could easily run another 5 miles so I kicked it in to gear and came in strong for another PR. What a treat to see Tif and Korbin near the finish and then to find my friend and partner in crime Sarah in the gear check area. We had just enough time to walk around and sample some of the post race food and shower at a friend's hotel before all our friends who were tackling the full 26.2 came in.
Truly blessed to not only have this amazing community to inspire and entertain me, but to have an amazing friend who was taking care of my kids so their weekend was as fun as mine.
A photo Jamie sent while I was in Duluth
Pasta and a Beer at Grandma's Saloon
Waiting in the race chute with garbage bags to keep us warm
LOVING the run
Another awesome race with my friend Sarah
Hanging out with Tif and Korbin and Willie and Jake while we wait for the marathoners
Mike coming in strong
Carol and Scott happy to know the end is near
Coolest running partners ever, crossed the finish line holding hands
Having our traditional post-race bloodies at Grandma's
Scott and Lisa at Lake Avenue Café where the whole group caught up













2 comments:
Congrats on a new PR.
I love reading these!! :)
Post a Comment