Wednesday, September 3, 2014

New Year New School

 
During the pseudo first day of school, the parents tag along and the kids meet their teachers and find their desks and get their school pictures taken.  It's mostly for the parents to check in and complete any last minute paperwork and understand the best ways to communicate with the teachers.  Sam and I found our way to room 203 and Sarah Fellman greeted us with a big smile and a packet of paperwork.  We checked out the new room and found his desk and waited for her quick overview presentation.  She talked about site words and sounding out letters while Sam sat next to me reading the forms and showing me which ones needed my signature.  After the teacher presentation we had a quick chat about my concern that he's already reading above grade level and I don't want him to get lost in the shuffle, and Sam's teacher reassured me that after their reading assessments in a few weeks the children would be placed in appropriate reading groups.  The rest of the orientation day was about finding the lunch room and standing in line for school pictures and checking out the status of the big fish aquarium that Sam remembered from when we visited in the spring.
 
On Sam's real first day, we took pictures out front before being greeted by the principal and walking inside and climbing the east stairs to Mrs. Fellman's room.  Most kids were out on the playground, but we took a few pictures and put his stuff in his locker and I gave him a kiss goodbye before turning to walk down the stairs and out to the car.  As I pulled up to the 4-way stop at 5th and Hilbert my eyes teared up just a little and my chest tightened.  How is it possible that my little baby is going off to a new school with all new people that I don't know all by himself every day?
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like he has already adjusted. Great photos.

Tara Jo said...

I wondered how I missed this post and then I saw the date. :)

I volunteered in Mrs. Fellman's class a few years ago!