Saturday, November 13, 2010

Third Shift

Kelly watches Eva so Mommy can get a break

The night before Kelly left our home after a week of cooking and cleaning and holding baby and playing with Sam, the three of us sat at the dining room table eating delvery pizza.

"I'm going to be sad when Kelly leaves," I said. "She takes such good care of you and Baby Sister."

Sam used his teeth to pull the cheese off his pizza and started to talk with a mouthful,

"Her take care of you," he said.

Amen.




The week Kelly spent here was the longest time we'd lived together since our trip to Kauai a decade ago or our two years sharing dorm rooms in Kronsage Hall in Madison back in the mid-80's. And a lot has changed in both our lives since then. But some things haven't changed including our love and respect for each other and our genuine enjoyment of our time together. I probably slept less than I should have because Kelly and I spent hours just talking while Sam was at daycare and Eva slept on one of our chests, but it was a week I'll never forget, a week for which I will always be grateful, and a week that Sam will probably continue to talk about for years.









In the car on the way home from daycare a few days ago, we were looking for ducks on the water when Sam announced out of nowhere, "I'm sad that Kelly leaved." And then we talked about when he might see her again. Soon, I hope.

See more photos here.

1 comment:

Laraf123 said...

What a wonderful friend and member of your family. What great photos!