Ann's been living in Florida almost a year and a half now, and for most of that time I've been saying I couldn't afford to travel there. Two full priced airline tickets (including the cost of the bags), parking at the airport, and the cost to get to any airport that might fly there relatively inexpensively would all add up to more than I had to spare. And now that both Sam and Eva are in daycare I really have nothing to spare. But when the daycare was closed for a week and I found myself planning to take a few days off to stay home with the kids, I checked into last minute airfare and spent money I didn't have. And it was worth every penny.
I was more than a little afraid that one or both children would be difficult on the flight, but I was also aware that the flight was only 2 and 1/2 hours and I could endure just about anything for 2 and 1/2 hours. No need to worry though. Although Sam was a typical three-year-old who needed constant attention and entertainment, and getting various toys and snacks and books out of the diaper bag was a little challenging with a 15 pound infant in my arms, the flights were not bad at all. My children travel as well on airplanes as they always have in the car.
We had a wonderful 4 day visit with Ann and her family... a boat ride to see dolphins and beach on an island, a hike on the beach and out to the end of the jetty, hours in the pool, and a superbowl party we'll all remember. Ann is an amazing mother and her home is warm and welcoming and full of love. Sam loved having rooms filled with toys and big kids to follow around and play with. I loved having another adult to hold the baby or entertain the 3-year-old. And we all loved the endless supply of tasty food. I wish we could have stayed longer, and before we were even home I was thinking about how I can come up with money to do it again. Soon.

See more photos here.
.
2 comments:
Wow--what a great spur of the moment trip. I really wish I would do things like this. I haven't traveled at all with my children--and I have a very close friend in Florida who hasn't even met Liam. I liked your line about being able to do anything for 2 1/2 hours. I'm inspired to try traveling soon!
beautiful pictures....beautiful family :)
Post a Comment