Monday, June 24, 2013

Can I Pass a 7-Year-Old?


Sam is not always easy to get out of bed in the morning.  When he was three I used to get him dressed for "school" while he was still asleep before waking him to leave the house around 7am.  And this past year I used tricks like mentioning that today was show and share day or reminding him that Wednesdays they go to the computer lab at pre-school.  But this past Saturday I didn't have any trouble waking him at 7am.  He got right out of bed and told me he needed extra toaster waffles for energy.

Earlier in the week I had told him that if he was good he could come down and watch Mommy in her race, that we'd leave Eva behind with Brooklynn and he could come watch me race by the lake before doing his own race.  He wanted to know if The Man was going to help him with the swim part, envisioning, perhaps, a race similar to Trinona, the triathlon we'd watched a friend in earlier this month. When Sam found out he wouldn't be swimming or biking but just running, he was disappointed that he wouldn't get to ride his new Trek but happy that he'd get to show me how fast he was.  In the car on the way there he asked me if it was okay if he passed a 7-year-old, and I told him he could pass anyone he wanted to pass.  The important thing was to have fun.

And fun it was.  He crossed the finish line and got his BK5K medal and told me he wanted to run another race, a longer one.  After all, as he told me on the way home, the 5 in the middle of BK5K on his medal is because he got 5th place.

Just before the finish line of the BK5K Youth Race


 Watching the competition at Trinona, June 9th

Sam takes his new bike for a spin as we're adjusting the seat height

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A future runner. Love his enthusiasm. And he is so cute too.

Tara Jo said...

There's a first year kids tri on the 4th of July..check it out!

https://m.facebook.com/WhitewaterKidsTriathlon?id=387469268040280&_rdr

Also the winona kids tri was so fun...they can use floaties or vests too!

:)

Anonymous said...

A cute story....Barb how did you do?
Bspector@rogers.blackberry.net