Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Madtown


After the kids had finally settled into sleep in a pile of pillows and blankets on their Dora and Sponge Bob fold-out couches on the floor of Kelly's master bedroom, she and I whispered in her living room about the way things have changed over the last few years.  We talked about the irony that I was getting divorced when her babies were as little as mine are now and how over 3 years ago I had found out I was pregnant the same week that she got the news that her life was about to change dramatically too.  In the 25 years since we were roommates in Madison, our lives have rarely been in the same place, and as I struggle to find balance and time for me, she's becoming an empty-nester who actually has time to read books.

Years ago while I was traveling around the country and taking art and psychology and creative writing classes, she was sitting on the sidelines in the rain watching soccer tournaments and reading Harry Potter to her boys before bedtime, and I always told her that when I grew up I wanted to be just like her.  Such an amazing mother whose boys now tower over her when they visit on Sunday to do laundry before heading back to campus to study for Econ 101 or Organic Chemistry.  Sam and Eva were in awe of the big DeGrave boys, and I am in awe of their mother, the woman who showed me so much about what it means to be a good parent, even when it's hard.

Thanks for an awesome weekend, Kelly.  



























2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to have such good friends.

Tara Jo said...

Robbie and I have been to that zoo!!!! :) Looks like great fun!