Reunion on Memorial Union Terrace the night before the half
I am sitting in the sunshine in the outdoor garden seating at The Great Dane in Madison, and my skin is covered with the fine powdered feeling of dried up sweat. My best friend and college roommate sits across from me, her finisher's medal hung around her neck and a pink sweatband saying "Decide. Commit. Succeed." holding back her thick dark hair. As the waiter sets a giant plate of waffles with berries and whipped cream on the table in front of her son, I am struck once again by how much he looks like his father.
"This is so surreal," I say to both of them. "It seems like just yesterday it was the three of us... you and Brian and me. And now it almost doesn't feel much different."
I cannot believe that it's been over 25 years since we spent our weekends in Madison together, and I am so amazed by what kind, thoughtful, generous, adult kids this best friend of mine has raised. Two grown men who are focused and commited and succeeding at UW-Madison themselves.
Standing at the finish line with Zack a few hours earlier, he and I talked about the running and his recent battle with some virus that kept him from participating. He was positive and excited and interested in signing up for another race soon. And when the three of us sat at an Irish pub on the square and he toasted his mother and said how proud of her he was, I got tears in my eyes.
My less-than-24-hour weekend away from my children made me think of mothers and children and balance and history and example and achievement and friendship and how truly blessed I am.




No comments:
Post a Comment