Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Something's Gotta Give

When I picked up the kids from daycare this afternoon, I saw that Jamie had brought out the exersaucer, the plastic activity center that supports a baby that can't walk yet.

"Does Eva go in that yet?" I asked.

"Yah, she loves it," Jamie said.

"That's so funny because she hates the one at home," I said. "She gets mad at me whenever I put her in it."

"She plays with all the little toys and she spins around," Jamie said as she showed me how it worked.

"She gets mad at me for just about everything I do at home unless I'm holding her," I said. "I think she just needs more time with me."

"So does Sammy."

"So does my boss," I sighed.

Something’s gotta give.

When you’re in survival mode, it’s okay to serve your 3-year-old just buttered noodles and a big glass of milk for dinner.

4 comments:

Shannon Ralph said...

Oh Barb...I feel you! I can't even tell you how many times we have cereal (with a big bowl of milk) for dinner. You can only be pulled in so many directions and you do what you can to survive. And you are doing it by yourself. I am in awe of you. Cut yourself some slack. You are doing an amazing job!

Laraf123 said...

You are doing a fantastic job wearing so many "hats". You are an amazing mom who spends time of the highest quality with your children. Give yourself credit where credit is due!

As far as Eva (and Sam), little ones are like that. They figure out very early that they can make different and stronger demands on us, their moms, than on anyone else. (My sons can be incredibly difficult when I come home from work--but my daycare provider says she NEVER sees those behaviors at her house.)

Several nights each week, I find myself serving high quality hotdogs and pasta enriched with protein and ALA in hopes of having a simple, peaceful dinner. It's not June Cleaver fare but my pm time with the boys is too short for dinner battles.

I have to say, "survival mode" looks good on you. Hope you have a relaxing holiday!

Tara Jo said...

Hey, if he eats the noodles...I say go for it! You are awesome...don't lose sight of that.

Katherine said...

Oh, so true. It seems like the more I give the more she needs. I don't there's ever enough. Ever. Buttered noodles sound great!