Usually we are the second family to arrive. We walk in as a dad in sweats leaves his daughter alone waiting for class to start. We met them the first week, chatted as Sam removed his boots and I tucked Eva’s carseat in the corner. Sam’s first official extracurricular, potential-for-overscheduling experience. Tumbleweeds. This week we arrive to a room full of moms and dads and siblings pressed against the murals painted on the wall, digging cameras out of their bags and watching as children run around the room, jumping on the trampoline, sliding along the balance beam, zipping down the giant yellow slide or tackling each other martial arts style and yelling “hi-ya!” Graduation day. The day we finally get to see the deep dark secrets of toddler tumbling that we were not previously allowed to witness...
Eva has been left at home with a friend, and this morning is
to be all about Sammy. He stands close
to my side, his hand clutching my pants leg, and I lead him to a spot on the
wall where a rainbow grows out of the top of a giant castle. Near big foam blocks stacked in front of the
trampoline Sam takes off his boots and sits on the mat. I encourage him to run and play with the
other kids, but he is sizing up the crowd, looking at all the people.
They say the nut doesn’t fall too far from the tree, and as
we stand there I realize that I am becoming my mother and Sam is becoming me.
“Nobody is watching you,” I say. “Just Mommy.
Everyone else is just watching their own kids.”
I think back to how much I celebrated being able to finally
see him do “gymnastics”, how excited I was, what a big and special day it
was. This is the moment I find myself
NOW trying to back track and convince him that really it isn’t that big of a
deal.
My sister and I had the same parents, and you’d think we
would have essentially the same memories of our childhood. But we don’t. She remembers we had a dog. I don’t.
She remembers me holding her down and spitting in her face and
threatening to throw her beloved Bunny out the car window. I remember her reading my notes from friends
and borrowing my clothes and always being mad that I never wrote anything about
her in my diary.
Ten years ago she told me that she wished she’d have gotten
more pressure and direction from our mother, that she never felt like she knew
what was expected of her. I could only
sigh because I had always felt nothing but pressure. Ann always hated that teachers compared her
to me, told her that she should be more like her sister. I always hated that no matter what I did
academically, she was the one with
the higher IQ, she was the one who
won the UWGB summer camp kids golf tournament, she was the one who got on the basketball team and in the band and
on the cross country team. She was the
one that did everything. I was the one
who did nothing. After I didn’t make the
cuts for 7th grade basketball or 7th grade volleyball, I
never tried out for anything again, afraid of rejection, afraid of failure,
afraid of disappointing my parents.
Extracurricular stuff was terrifying for me but for sister it was where
my sister could escape comparisons to me.
“It will be fun, Sammy,” I say. “Look.
There’s Nico.”
“I don’t want to. I
want to go home. I don’t like tumbling,”
he says.
I’ve read so much about what to do and what to say and how
to handle your children in different situations. I’ve learned something from almost every
“expert” from almost every position on the spectrum. I’ve listened to the Tiger Mom and Michelle
Rhee talk about assuming our children are strong and expect strength from them.
I’ve read books and blogs telling me to
get down to my child’s level and reiterate what they’re feeling and give them
control. I’ve read about building my
child’s self-esteem and teaching boundaries and accountability and
understanding omnipotence and interdependence.
Standing there next to my child, my back against the big
grey castle with the rainbow leading up into the sky, I felt the same pressure
I did when I tried out for 7th grade basketball. I felt like everyone in the room was watching,
and I was so afraid of failing. Of being
the mom that everyone would say “Did you see what she did? How she treated her son? How she failed her
son?” It was one of my most challenging
moments as a parent, not because of anything my child did, but because I had to
in that moment let go of my own feelings, admit my own fear of failure, and focus
on Sammy.
I walked Sam to the corner of the room where the kids were
doing mat exercises. We watched as they
stretched their hands towards the ceiling and then as they sat on the ground
and stretched to make pizzas in between their legs. I asked Sammy questions, tried to get him
engaged. “Can you do that? Do you want to do that?”
“I did it, Mommy,” he cried. “I did the airplane move!” He beamed at me as he ran back to me after the class demonstration was over. He kept his arms spread wide and I picked him up and hugged him as tightly as I could and I felt myself exhale. “You sure did, Sammy. You sure did.”
This story was originally published HERE.
1 comment:
I wish I had read this before I let my son quit gymnastics. (Actually, he never got close enough to the mats to start...) What a great learning experience for your son (and the rest of us!)
PS. It wouldn't let me add this comment on the other site but that's where I read the entire post.
Post a Comment