Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Different is Good


“Just a minute,” she tells her husband as she hands him their 1-year-old daughter. “I want to take Sam to the park. I told him I would and I want to make sure I do that.”

We are at a toddler birthday party, and after our boys finished eating bratwurst and pasta salad and finger jello but before we sang Happy Birthday to a proud two-year-old, my friend Kay volunteered to bring our kids over to the playground. But then the cake rolled out and the noisemakers appeared, and the boys forgot all about the park. But Kay didn’t. As people begin packing up their things and heading to their cars, Kay wants to follow through on her earlier commitment.

“Come on Sammy,” Kay says. It would be easy for her to sneak out, to escape to the car with her family. But that is not who Kay is. Kay is conscientious and intentional. Kay keeps her word. Always.

I bend to lift Eva from the spot where she is scooting across the cement with a bottle of water, and I follow Kay and the boys.

Read the rest on TheNextFamily.com here.

4 comments:

Tara Jo said...

Love, love, love (as usual)! I want to be able to write like you...amazing! Made me tear up as usual. You are just an amazing person all around Barb - thanks for all you have done for me in the short time I have known you.

Barb said...

Ditto, Tara. :)

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Beautifully written!

katherine said...

love this one. Read it a while ago but couldn't comment at the moment. You're such a good person, you attract good people to you. I'm so glad you have such a good network.