Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Funnest 5 Miles I Ever Ran

Pre-Race Al's Run, Saturday Morning


The three of us committed to this back in early summer. Despite our individual insane schedules and lack of free time, Kelly, Missy and I all committed to training for a 5 mile run in Milwaukee that raises money for the Children's Hospital. TT said she would support my efforts by not only sharing Marriott points for a free hotel stay but, God help her, watching both children while I ran.


And from the second we pulled into the valet parking of the downtown Marriot Courtyard on Friday evening it seemed like the planets had aligned for it to be a great weekend. Sam was so excited to see TT that he could barely sit still when he saw her standing there to greet us. And he was thrilled to wander around the big lobby with her, running to check out fountains and plants and big TVs and a swimming pool that she promised he could swim in. After we hauled all our stuff up to the 4th floor, TT was fabulous at settling him down to snuggle and watch TV as I unpacked and organized, and both children went to sleep easily and deeply for the night.



















Saturday morning I left Grandma alone with the two kids and a small cooler full of yogurt and deli meat and avocados and tomatoes and fruit. I hiked up the long incline of Wisconsin Avenue in the wind, and the entire area was abuzz with families pulling kids in wagons and elite performace runners running up and down the streets. As I approached our promised meeting place on the steps of a church near 12th street, I passed a band playing inspirational music and I spotted Kelly standing near the church doors. I was so excited to see her, and we were both pumped up with the energy of the day. Sun was pushing off the clouds as Missy arrived, and the three of us laughed and giggled and talked about whether or not we were ready. After a few trips to the port-a-potty we lined up near the walkers and headed out across the start line just a few minutes after 10:30am.

It WAS the funnest run I've ever done. Missy had warned me of the long up hill on Prospect, but we started with a long downhill and we all passed a lot of walkers before settling in to our individual paces on the uphills. Normally when I run I focus on my breathing, but I don't remember ever even thinking about it while running Al's Run. There were so many encouraging spectators, and every few blocks a local band played blues or rock or pop that made it fun to run. There were arm tunnels to run through and strangers holding up their hands to give runners high fives. And after the turn down Lafayette Hill, the run was mostly downhill or flat, and I couldn't believe I wasn't struggling. I raced the last half mile with Missy's friend Craig and sprinted to the end to beat my 52-minute goal by over two minutes.

It was a beautiful day and I was surrounded by my dearest and oldest friends. I was so grateful to be able to do this and to know that my family was being safely taken care of by Grandma (who had already taken Sam to see the pool and eat sausage at the hotel bistro and ride an escalator in the Grand Avenue Mall). But I also missed them and wanted to get back to the hotel to hug my boy.

After showers and some protein we spent the afternoon with Missy, exploring her neighborhood which held all kinds of new wonders for Sam. Her view from the 10th floor allowed Sammy to see the city in a whole new way, and Eva couldn't get enough of her BFF Missy. I got to enjoy a bottle of wine and soak up the sun while Eva scooted and Sam mopped up cottage cheese with Pepperidge Farm goldfish before we ventured down to the beach for more sunshine.










We ended the evening with delivery pizza and a trip to the hotel pool with TT, and for the second night in a row, my children let me sleep.

Thank you TT for another rejuvinating weekend in which I got some mommy-free time and my children got to explore more of the world.

2 comments:

Tara Jo said...

yay! Now you know what it is like to run the half marathons and full marathons...there are people everywhere (depending on which town you go to). That sounds like a fun run and I wish I could have gone...we need to do another run soon! Maybe your first half next spring???? :)

Barb said...

Deal. :)