Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fascinating Big Boys


Next stop Milwaukee where Sam was absolutely mesmerized by the giant boys that now live with Kelly.  I had a hard time believing that the boys that tower over all of us were the same little guys who used to play fishing boat on the sofa with me 10 years ago.  Zak and Josh and their friend Dan were good sports, coming out of their bedroom suite to play some frigid soccer with Sam as the sun went down and then acting impressed when he drew them a picture of several soccer guys.  Sam was so thrilled by the boys that every time Kelly had any kind of food ready (homemade fries, pepperoni pizza, sausage pizza) he would run in to the bedroom where they were playing video soccer and tell them the food was ready.  And then he'd sit at the dining room table and watch them file in and clean up every crumb, his eyes big and fascinated.  When I think about the kind of kids I want to raise, Kelly's boys always come to mind.  They are thoughtful and courteous and generous, and I don't know many other college sophomores who would sit and do Lego with a 4-year-old on a Friday night so his mom could get Little Sister to sleep in the other room.  And Little Sister had her share of fun too... talking up a storm and getting in to everything and reading and cuddling with Kelly.  Kelly and I accidentally stumbled onto a little alone time to talk and catch up early Friday morning, so I let the kids sleep in and we got on the road for Michigan a little later than planned, but when we left Sam wanted to know why we couldn't stay and when he'd get to see the boys again.  So grateful to have such a good friend who has been so supportive and generous and to have such wonderful positive role models for my son.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the first photo. Little boys love watching the big boys. Male bonding.

mel said...

We have a similar fascination with older boys going on here... I feel like I can see the wheels turning in Reece's head as he watches them. They really are a gift for a wide-eyed little guy.