Considering that once a week tee ball this summer just about did me in, and considering that the first time I told Sam I'd signed him up for twice a week euro football he said, "I don't want to play soccer. I don't like soccer", it seems like perhaps I might have set us up for a little family drama as the days get shorter and we start that long slide into winter that frequently makes us all feel like we're over scheduled and running out of time. But nothing could be further from the truth. From the first practice in which they did skills assessments and set up their player cards long after the practice was supposed to end, Sam and I have both loved the local Euro Football program. Twice a week I pick him up a little early and we struggle to get his soccer socks and shin guards over his sticky, sweaty feet. Twice a week he runs out on to the field in his size 12 Nike cleats while I catch up with Kate before running off to get Eva. Twice a week he runs and laughs and learns, really learns, soccer skills.
Last week after dinner one night, The Man stopped over and we wanted to go outside to toss around the football and Sam asked if we could play soccer instead. "I don't know how to play soccer," The Man said, And Sam proceeded to show us how to shuffle for defense, how to shield the ball and block your opponents, how to dribble and pass and work with your team. He talked about teamwork and respect and told us he's really good at defense. His first tournament isn't until October 5th, and he's got a few more weeks left, but the entire experience has already been worth every penny and every scheduling inconvenience we've had to work around. (Although Eva might not agree.)












2 comments:
Great team sport. SO glad he loves it. After my sons starting playing soccer the mothers started a league and I went on to play for 10 years. We practiced twice a week and game on Sundays. We entered tournaments and for me it was the first time I played a team sport. I loved it.
Very impressive!
Post a Comment