Thanks for coming to visit us. I started this blog to follow my quest to become a Single Mother by Choice. When Sam was born this became the place to share our story and contemplate our unusual family as it evolves and grows... and with the arrival of Eva we became a family of three. Stay tuned for stories of growth and change, as well as frustration and exhaustion, compassion and love, joy and delight.
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Lessons
When Kelly's kids were little I used to visit and tell her that when I grew up I wanted to be just like her. She was a patient mother, teaching her children empathy and responsibility while supporting their soccer careers and reading Harry Potter with them every night. I was her kids' crazy friend who came for a weekend and played shark-in-the-water on the couch cushions in the living room and helped Zachary and Josh create imaginary scenes in the sandbox and laughed when they danced and performed Shania Twain songs from the fireplace hearth. And a decade later, Kelly is showing up at my house and bringing my kids toys and love and attention and joy, and they love her just as much as I do. We are so blessed.
Some lessons learned from my much wiser friend who has had many more years of practice being a mom:
Having an adult conversation is actually possible if they have new toys.
ANYTHING can become a toy.
Being a good mommy sometimes requires wine.
When all else fails, give them food.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








4 comments:
If only I had known about the wine part....!!!
Nice tribute Barb.
Eva is simply beautiful. :)
--tj brown
Wonderful to have a friend that loves you and your kids. It looks mutual in the photos.
What a wonderful friend! Does she have a sister in Illinois? LOL
Post a Comment