Monday, July 2, 2007

The Baby Bump Revealed

When my boss called me in for my annual performance review, I sat down across from him and rested my forearms on his desk. I was a nervous wreck. Not because I thought I had “performed” badly this past year, but because I knew it was time to tell him about my growing baby bump. We went over my performance evaluation, and he said a lot of reassuring things that made me less anxious about my upcoming maternity leave. (Do all women get anxious about the security of their jobs before they go on maternity leave?) Then he asked me if there was anything else I wanted to talk about.

"Yes," I said, and I looked back over my shoulder towards the door of his office. He sat up a little straighter in his chair. “I don’t know if Randy told you what all my doctor’s appointments were about?” {Randy was my boss before him.)

“No.” He shuffled the papers on his desk.

“Then this might be a little surprising, but... I’m pregnant."

He didn’t take his eyes off mine.

“Well, congralulations.”

“I’ve been anxious for my review so I could tell you."

“Well, that’s no big deal. We can work around that.”

And then he changed the subject.

So... the deed is done. The boss knows about the baby bump, and it feels great. Now I don't care who gossips about me at work, and I don't have to worry about trying to hide the bump. The cat is out of the bag.

My Weekend Retreat

I spent my weekend in the most idyllic setting surrounded by the rolling wooded hills and farmlands of western Wisconsin. I volunteered to watch my friend Sarah’s ranch while she traveled out of town for her sister’s wedding, and I spent the weekend watching the horses graze in the pasture out back, walking Tasha and Max (her dogs) down the quarter mile long driveway several times to get some exercise, and reading her collection of pregnancy magazines while sunning my baby bump on her back deck. It was an absolutely gorgeous weekend, and the only noises I heard were the wind in the trees, a couple dozen species of birds, and the occasional snort of one of the horses. (And for ten minutes on Saturday night, Dave and Stacy flew overhead to buzz me just before sunset.) It was blissful and relaxing and rejuvenating. I even saw two new mommies: a turkey hen with her five little ones and a large doe with her two tiny spotted fawns. It won't be long before my baby bump becomes my son, and after such a weekend I’m starting to feel really good about my decision to move to the area.

By Request - A Current Photo of The Baby Bump---STAY TUNED


No comments: