This weekend I went out to get the mail, and a bulky manilla envelope addressed to me “and Baby Matousek” leaned against the side of the front porch. I brought it in and tore at it with my fingernails before getting out the scissors. Brooklynn watched in anticipation. The return address was from my dear friend Lisa who I met when she joined my writing group. She has been so incredibly supportive of my journey to motherhood. Last year she sent me a homemade card with a drawing of a sperm on the cover. “I know you’ll pick a good one!” she said. A few months later she sent me a delicious smelling fertility candle from
The two tiny blue Keen sandals told me that she loved me and supported me and was excited about my little boy. And they said “I know who you are and what’s important to you, and I know you will take that little boy on adventures that you will both love.”
Last night just before I drifted off to sleep, I thought of the little feet that will some day fit in those sandals and how they will likely clop along clumsily beside me as I hold his hand. “I can’t wait for all the adventures we’re going to share,” I told him, and I went to sleep excited about whatever comes next.
No comments:
Post a Comment