Yesterday ticked off another week in the 40 week journey to baby. And since I’ll be delivering by c-section early, 19 weeks is beyond the halfway point for me. Yay!!! At 19 weeks the baby is about 6 inches long and weighs over half a pound. His arms and legs have caught up and are now in proportion to the rest of his body. His kidneys are functioning. His hair is sprouting. And this is the time when his senses start to develop…his brain is designating special areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch.
Just this week I started really having what they call “round ligament pain.” This is a strong achiness in my lower abdomen and occasionally sharp, stabbing pains on my sides. These aches and pains are caused by stretching of the muscles and ligaments that support my uterus. I’m getting used to it, but it seems every day something else about my body changes. My skin is drying out as it stretches and my stomach constantly itches. I’m also starting to get the splotchiness and skin changes that are inevitable all over my body. Lots of pretty little capillary veins popping up on my upper thighs. Fun.
Next week I go in for an extensive 20-week ultrasound and I should have some wonderful new pictures of baby to share.
(Again, not my picture at the top of this post. It's from one of the dozens of pregnancy websites that let you track your pregnancy. This is what a 19-week fetus looks like. Very exciting.)
No comments:
Post a Comment