Another doctor’s appointment. Another step closer to bringing Baby home. I drank the orange syrup that so many women have warned me about (it really wasn’t bad at all… just tasted like orange soda), and then the nurse and I went over treatments for all the little “challenges” the third trimester brings. I’m supposed to lay down to avoid hemorrhoids, but I have to stay upright to avoid heartburn. No wonder hormonal pregnant women have trouble remembering little things.
I was fighting a nasty cold at the time of my appointment.
“If you could take anything for your cold right now, what would you take?” Dr. Peck asked.
“Alka Seltzer Cold Plus,” I said.
“Go right ahead.” He said I’m at the stage in my pregnancy where just about anything is safe because the baby is well developed.
He reviewed all my surgical records and drew little pictures to help explain to me that my previous surgery did not enter the endometrial cavity, so I can keep the baby in there a lot longer than Dr. Brown (in
“Smart baby,” Dr. Peck said as he measured my uterus and felt my abdomen. “He’s already head down”… which explains why so much of the kicking and movement seems to be right around my belly button.
Last night I drank a big glass of Alka Seltzer Cold Plus and finally got a good night’s sleep, and this morning I got a call from Dr. Peck’s nurse. I have to go back in for the follow-up 3-hour glucose test. They require the more extensive testing for anyone who tests over 140 on the glucose test, and mine came back at 141.
“Damn,” I told her. “I should have done a few jumping jacks on my way to the lab.”
So next week I go in for 3 hours of bloodwork. Halloween morning is the next big ultrasound, and then after that I’ll have weekly appointments to monitor the baby. This is standard protocol for a 40-year-old high risk pregnancy.
I’m getting very excited!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment