Friday, October 19, 2007

Something About Me That's Normal

Just a quick update since so many people have been calling or emailing to ask about the glucose tests. After 100 g of orange-soda-flavored sugar and 4 blood draws and 3 hours sitting in a doctor’s waiting room observing old men in farmer hats with canes and old women with walkers and young paralyzed people in motorized carts and young mothers toting infants while holding the hands of unruly toddlers, my results came back as completely normal. All four blood draws (fasting, 1-hour, 2-hour and 3-hour) all came in at normal levels. So there’s something about me that’s normal.

The time in the waiting room wasn’t as bad as I expected. I spent much of it watching all the people and reading a Howard Norman memoir on the time he spent translating the Noah folktales of the Inuit people (more interesting than you’d think) and watching The Belly bounce around. As I tell Ann every day, I don’t think this child ever sleeps. When I’m sitting in the car he’s kicking at the seat beat. When I’m at my desk the skin above my belly button pulses and taps against the edge of my desk. When I sit with my arms crossed at a work training session he pushes my arms up, reminds me that he wants all the space he can get. When I sleep he wakes me at 3 am with an elbow or a foot or knee to my bladder. He never seems to stop moving… except when I move…. which isn’t often these days. I spend a lot of time NOT moving. And when I’m not moving I am constantly entertained by an active little one who I am hoping will sleep much more after he’s born.

No comments: