In the car on the way to the trailhead on Saturday morning, I told Sam we were going hiking with Kate and Gedion. "Lucy? Arie?" He asked. Subsets of the little foursome of two-year-olds often travel in groups, and I don't know that Sam has ever had time with just Gedion. I explained that Lucy and Arie weren't coming. "Just Gedion and his mommy. You remember Gedion?""Hike, Guide-eon," he said. "I see cranes. Guide-eon see cranes."
I had explained to him earlier in the week what hiking was, that we'd be going into the woods along the Mississippi River to look for birds. Geese and ducks and turkeys and cranes. Since his latest obsessions are the tall construction cranes along the highway bridge projects and near the new office building we pass on our way into town every day, he was very excited about the cranes. I had to explain that cranes are also birds, and I explained it to him again in the car.

It was the perfect morning for a hike, and before we had even hit the gravel trail I was peeling off layers and packing Sam's coat under the stroller. The boys ran along the gravel chasing each other and exploring the rocks and pulling at the grass and dandelion fuzz. We scared up a green heron along the first part of the trail and crossed a nervous mommy killdear sitting on a nest after the turn. The boys got in and out of the strollers, running and jumping and then snacking on juicy bright red co-op strawberries and goldfish crackers as Kate and Eric and I got to know each other. After a slightly inconvenient stroller mishap before the second turn in the trail, we abandoned it and Sam walked the rest of the way out to Delta Point, only occasionally whining or turning on his pout face in an attempt to get Mommy to carry him. But he was a trooper and he kept hiking through the cool grasses edging the backwaters of the Mississippi. He pointed out geese, telling me the sound they make is "honk." He studied goose poop and piles of feathers, and he stepped a wide path around a dead snake. "Pee-euw," he said.

At Delta Point the boys had a quick snack and then started digging for sticks and rocks to throw into the river while I peeled an orange and inhaled some cheese and yogurt. By the time we returned to the parking lot near the trailhead almost 3 hours later, both boys were sleeping in their strollers and all three parents were a little worried that we might miss out on the much anticipated afternoon nap time. We were all tired, but it was a beautiful day and a beautiful hike, and I hope we have more opportunities for such adventures as the summer goes on.
More pictures of our weekend's outdoor activities here.
Thanks for a great morning, Kate and Eric!
2 comments:
Adorable pictures! Isn't the communicating thing awesome? That you can talk about cranes and he can learn (kind of) how the mechanical ones are different from the birds. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Beautiful photos! Sounds like a perfect afternoon!
Post a Comment