Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bubbles, Cupcakes, and Christmas


Two unrelated things in one post today. If I were a better writer, I'd figure out a way to weave these two things things together, but I'm dealing with pregnancy brain (Is the next month June or July?) and interrupted sleep (how did I make the mistake of letting Sam train me to get up with him at 3am every night?) so I just give you the two things separately...


One
Another fabulous weekend with TT. The moist, muggy air didn't arrive until Sunday morning, but before that we had Friday and Saturday to enjoy more perfect spring weather. Friday night we hung out on the deck and listened to the birds and chased bubbles through the wet grass. Saturday Sam and TT went on another of their adventures while I planted tomatoes and peppers and cucumbers and squash and surrounded them with fragrant white alyssum and yellow marigolds. TT and Sam came home from the farmer's market with 5 of the most delicious lemon cupcakes I have ever tasted, and we spent the rest of the day outside in the sunshine picnicking and blowing bubbles, racing bigwheels and tracing each other's feet with sidewalk chalk, watering the gardens and pouring water from little buckets into big buckets and back again. Just before sunset we had burgers on the grill and fresh organic veggies soaked in butter, and the cupcakes did not last the evening.






Two
I preface this story with two facts that are worth considering: Sam is not yet 2 and a 1/2 years old, and Christmas was almost 6 months ago.

Yesterday Sam and I came upon a blue Rubbermaid container unexpectedly. I did not touch it. I did not open it. I did not say anything about it. Sam pointed to it and said, "Mama, Christmas." The container is a box that I use to store all our Christmas ornaments. The box has not been opened or touched since we dismantled the tree during the first week of January.
"You're right Sammy. How did you know that?"
"Mommy, I want play christmas. Play Christmas?"
Sometimes I don't even know where I've stored my Christmas stuff. I guess from now on I will just ask Sam.

TT's Boy

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Isn't it amazing what they retain, even before they are verbal?

PS - your yard looks gorgeous. Nice work!

Tara Jo said...

Awesome...your kid is amazing!!

:)

I think I need to make a visit to your lovely pace this summer for a play date with Sammy!

Anne said...

I am always in awe of what these little brains can remember so vividly ... makes you think twice about what you say and do around them :)

Dave said...

What a smart (and cute) little guy!

Laraf123 said...

Their memories are amazing--I've found that out the hard way. Beautiful photos!