Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Ravioli Experiment

We're planning to attempt this with friends soon, possibly experimenting with the ingredients (maybe a gorgonzola pear mushroom rosemary?), so we tried it ourselves this weekend to work out the bugs. Who knew homemade ravioli could be so simple and fun? And delicious!




8 comments:

Megsie said...

Braver than I am...although you have got me thinking now...Huh.

Barb said...

It was seriously easy. Flour and egg. You just make a mound of flour, sprinkle a bunch of salt on it, make a hole and scramble one egg a time into the hole, slowly incorporating the flour. Then you roll it out, put piles of filling (we just winged it with some cheese and italian seasoning), water to make the top layer stick and cut them apart. Boil it salted water for 5 minutes and YUM!

Becky said...

Cute! As long as we don't mention to Hammy that ravioli is noodles he might eat it:) You and Sarah work out a time that works for you all and we'll check our schedule?

Barb said...

Oh that's right. I forgot about Ham and Noodles. Well, he likes eggs, doesn't he? It's just flour and eggs. And I guess we'd have to fill his with something other than cheese, huh? That's the great thing about make-your-own. You can put whatever you want in them.

Laraf123 said...

Henry and I have never attempted anything other than homemade pizza. Some nights even that stresses me out in our tiny kitchen BUT you have inspired me to try this with my 4 year old next weekend. thanks for the idea!

Barb said...

Lara, You have to let go of any need to contain the mess, so it's definitely a weekend activity. With any sort of experiment involved flour and a 4-year-old there will be mess. But that was half the fun. I also had to let go of my desire to have uniform, neatly organized raviolis. We just winged it, making little piles of filling here and there and then cutting a piece to lay over it. But we ended up with about a dozen HUGE but delicious cheese filled ravioli, and I left the mess in the kitchen until after the kids were in bed.

Dave said...

That's adorable. We were part of an 'adults' pasta making night recently and it was a blast. Very easy and fun.

Katherine said...

OH, I bet that our little man Sam LOVED that project. It looks like Josie's dream come true. All that flour, it does take some bravery on the mother's part. Good for you!

xoxo