Thursday, February 16, 2012

Call Me Nutty

The summer that Sam was 2 and 1/2 I pulled up to the daycare and the kids were all outside playing.  Sam's eyes were swollen and red, his face puffed up as if he were full of air, and a steady stream of snot ran down his upper lip.  This was four hours after he had screamed at Jamie that he'd gotten some peanut butter on his hand and Jamie said "Oh, just lick it off."   Standing on the sidewalk in front of Jamie's listening to the story my first thought was "Oh no.  Not THAT allergy."

Admittedly before my son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy I didn't know anything about them other than the fact that peanut allergies can kill.  I didn't know that nearly 6 million (or 8%) of American children have food allergies.  I didn't know that the prevalence of peanut allergies among children had tripled between 1997 and 2008.  I didn't know that 1 in 13 children under age 3 were affected by food allergies.

After Sam's initial scratch test in which a tiny peanut protein caused a welt the size of a half dollar on his back, I knew our lives would change, that we'd have to watch everything he ate, that he wouldn't be able to eat baked goods from commercial bakeries or any food from Chinese restaurants, that we'd have to ask about anything he ate that we didn't make ourselves because peanut butter is often used to thicken sauces and peanut oil is occasionally used in restaurant cooking.  I knew he'd never run around and play with a child who had just eaten a peanut butter sandwich.  And I knew he'd have to always carry an epi-pen in case of a severe, rapid-onset reaction called anaphylaxis which results in sudden throat swelling and low blood pressure that can be fatal.

I am a mother of small children so I understand how overwhelmed every parent is just remembering the needs of their own children.  I sometimes can't remember my own phone number or where I parked my car, so I completely understand a parent who barely knows my child who doesn't remember that he has a peanut allergy.  I understand that it is MY responsibility to over and over again gently remind those who are around Sam that he can't have peanuts.

But Valentine's Day caught me completely off guard.  The school knows he has a peanut allergy.  The school knows another child in his class has a tree nut allergy.  The school knows food can be a tricky thing for a child with a peanut allergy.  When I received a letter from Sam's teacher giving me a list of children who he would share "Valentines" with, I bought a package of little cards with little heart stickers and temporary tattoos, and Sam and I sat down and wrote his name and the names of his classmates on 21 of them.  The letter didn't mention food.  The letter didn't say anything about candy.  But I have learned my lesson and I now know that "Valentines" means something very different than it did when I was in preschool 40 years ago.  "Valentines" means little card and bag of candy... and an opportunity for the exhausted overwhelmed parents of Sammy's classmates to forget that a child in their class can die if he consumes peanuts.




According to a study released in 2008 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, food allergies result in about 300,000 ambulatory-care visits per year in children.  More than 15% of school aged children with food allergies have had a reaction at school.  And approximately 20-25% of epinephrine administrations in schools involve children whose allergy was unknown at the time of their reaction.  Every year we hear about children who have died in school as a result of something they ate.  And if your child doesn't have a peanut allergy you may not pay any attention.  But when you're the parent of a child with a peanut allergy, news of the preventable death of a child with an allergy triggers fear and anxiety.  It is a good reminder that your child CAN die from a peanut reaction.  It is a good reminder that living with a peanut allergy will require you to step out of your comfort zone and keep reminding people over and over again that you are just one person and you would appreciate their help in keeping your child safe.
 
Here is a great list of 10 things you should remember about food allergies in the classroom.

Valentine's Day was a great lesson for all of us.  I now realize the importance of working with the school to get the word out about my son's allergy, and I now know that I need to be the one responsible for gently, consistently reminding other parents that there is a child in their child's class who can die from peanuts.  I don't blame anyone for forgetting, and I don't blame the school for failing to remind them.  I blame myself for not being more informed about what he encounters at his school and what his school policies are regarding allergies.  But you can bet that has changed.







9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my day it was all about Valentine cards. My grand kids bags were filled with everything from pencils to candy. Glad Sam was okay. Great message passing it on.

BigLittleWolf said...

It was also about cards - not candy - when I was a child.

I have a friend who had to manage one of her children through his peanut allergy with such vigilance, through many years. It's not easy, by any stretch.

This is such a helpful reminder - not only for school children and parents / teachers / caretakers of school children, but for all of us who might make cookies for neighbors or pick certain candies at Halloween or Easter that we should have options, and keep this allergy in mind.

Laraf123 said...

In my experience as a teacher for 16 years, it has always been the schools responsibility, once informed, to ensure that no peanut products come in contact with the student. Depending on the severity of the allergy, this can mean no products ingested or it can mean no products within a certain radius of the child, his/her table, cubby, etc. (We cannot tell other parents which child has which allergy because this violates HIPPA.) It was the teachers and administrators responsibility to keep Sam safe on Valentine's Day. They messed up big time.

Because of my prior knowledge, I never send Snickers or Reese's type candy to school but if I forget, I'm relying on the teacher who knows her students best to intercept the candy before a study with life-threatening allergies touches it.

I agree with everything you said; just wanted to give you my perspective as a teacher. Glad Sam is okay!

Unknown said...

Sing it sister! First off, I'm so glad Sam is ok.

Second, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Tate is allergic to eggs (cannot even have food cooked with eggs) as well as oranges; with the orange allergy we avoid citrus.

Tate's school is aware as well, and most of the parents in his little class is aware. And yet the parents always say at the last minute when they bring cupcakes not from Whole Foods (who sells vegan cakes) or they include oranges in their fruit salad..."Oh my gosh I forgot". I'm very grateful his teacher lets me know when someone is having a birthday, so I can go to Whole Foods and get Tate his own cake. I always send our own fruit, and on the rare occasion they order Chicken McNuggets (blech)for a party I send my own for Tate. And every single teacher knows that Tate is not to eat anyone else's food, nor do any of the teachers offer him any food that I have not approved.

My experience has been that people who don't have children or know someone with a food allergy just don't get it. They think we're overreacting. That it's all been blown out of proportion. And the fact that schools across this country are not required to have epi-pens on the property is outrageous. The fact that school administrators can say that they didn't have permission to inject a kid with epi or for heaven's sake give the kid a dose of Benadryl (which I believe should be in every school as well) is an atrocity.

And when we were growing up we only exchanged cards as well. This whole candy, cookie, sweet thing for every single event/holiday is completely unnecessary. And people wonder why kids are obese these days or why dental cavities are always the number 1 or number 2 reason for school absences. Asthma is the only childhood disease that beats cavities for school absences. Don't get this pediatric dentist started :)

Again, so glad sweet Sam is doing great!!

Anne said...

I'm glad to hear Sam is OK!

Eliza is in a public school that is not nut free, but has a but free table for lunch. If you send anything in to school for a birthday you need to send in the ingredients you used, or if it is commercially prepared, it has to be made in a nut free factory. I'd like to hope that parents who send in the food are actually abiding by the rules, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

I really don't like the whole obsession with parents sending in candy for valentine's Day and Halloween. I send in stickers or books. Eliza does not have a nut allergy, but because of her swallowing and chewing issues, can easily choke on a small candy (or it causes her to gag and vomit). Thankfully she has a health para at school who monitors what the other kids try to give her as a treat. When we have gone to other parents' homes for playdates and they bring out a bowl of gummy bears I let them know that Eliza can't have them. Most parents are OK once I explain the problem, but I had one mother who basically berated me for being over protective and said I needed to let Eliza "try" these things (because of of course knew better and has degrees in pediatric neurology and gastroenterology and maybe even is well versed in dysphagia ... not). So when Eliza tried a gummy bear and vomited all over the woman's nice cream colored carpet, I just sat there and smiled while she cleaned it up :) While I don't expect to get invited back for a playdate, maybe she at least learned to take a parent's concerns and advice about their children a little more seriously and not just chalk it up to a raging case of neurosis :)

K said...

That's such a shame and, frankly, pretty frightening. I think you did your due diligence before the event. Allergies are really a life or death situation, and it's sad that folks don't recognize it as such.

Barb said...

A friend of mine told me that their child's Montessori school has Valentine's day without treats, and there are restrictions on what they can bring for their birthdays. That is what I would like... a no candy policy. What I would also like is just what you mentioned Anne, other mothers trusting that I know what I'm talking about and I'm not over-reacting. I understand it, I guess. I mean, when I was single I judged every parent I knew, and now I am enlightened. So I guess parents who don't actually have to deal with a life-threatening allergy who judge me should not be unexpected. All I can do is keeping talking about it and try to educate them and just live with the fact that I will be known as one of those annoying moms. Oh well. The safety of my child is the most important thing. And don't think that every day I am not grateful that it's just a nut allergy we're living with.

Katherine said...

REally great and important post. I saw this article today and thought of you http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203918304577243554276460014.html?mod=e2tw

Shannon Ralph said...

I love this post, Barb. Thankfully, my children do not have food allergies, so they are not forefront in my mind. I think you are doing a phenomenal job. I agree completely that schools should be nut-free and blog posts like this bring awareness to that issue. Thanks for enlightening this momma!