Saturday, February 11, 2012

What A Fever Looks Like

Sunday:  We started the week with a Superbowl party in which the adults really didn't care about the game and the kids watched animated films in the movie room in the basement.  When Sam was asleep before we got to the end of the Holthaus's driveway, I should have known something was coming.

Tuesday:  While having dinner with friends Sam sat on my lap (rather than running all over the house in his usual manner) and told me he wanted to go home.  He actually stood by the door and waited for me.

Wednesday: I found Sam curled up in a sweaty ball under a blanket on the couch while I was cooking dinner.  Temperature 103.

Thursday: I worked from home while a 4-year-old bounced off the walls and a 15-month-old rubbed nose goop all over my pantlegs.  Thanks to Sarah for delivering apple juice, mangoes, and the all-important Edy's Fruit Bars to get us through the day.


Friday:  Eva's fever arrived and during the short moments when I put her down during the day she immediately cried, "Uppie!"  Another neighbor brought fruit and avocados and more apple juice, and when she told me I didn't sound good either, I told her that it was like mile 23 of a marathon and I would think about how I felt after I crossed the finish line.

Working from home required pre-schooler blackmail:

"If you stay in the bedroom and keep Eva happy for half an hour while I make some very important phone calls, I will give you a dollar and you will have enough for Nickjr Boost."

"But I want the new game for my Leapster.  How much is that?  I want that."

"You need 25 dollars for that.  I will give you 5 dollars."

"What can I buy with 5 dollars?"

"You have 5 dollars already and with 5 more you will have enough for NickJr Boost."

"Okay."

(Can I put this $5 on my expense account?)

The kids are now on the mend... which means we've crossed the finish line.  Unless you consider the end of a four-day weekend of 24/7 single-parent childcare to be the finish line.  In that case, I still can't think about how my throat feels.

7 comments:

mel said...

Adorable photos on an unhappy occasion! Good job, mama...

Tara Jo said...

I still believe you're super woman.

Laraf123 said...

Oh, I know how very hard these times are. I'm glad the kids are on the mend and hope that your throat feels better soon. (I did end up with a nasty case of Strep this fall--don't let it go too long.)

Just think--spring is coming. How beautiful it will look after surviving weeks like this!

Anne said...

I like the bribery and am impressed you didn't immediately cave and fork over the $25 dollars! Despite being sick, Eva still looks so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Glad all are back on the mend. Cute kids even with fevers.

Anonymous said...

Our turn, espy has the fever and zaydee the cough. Glad it will be a short illness.

Katherine said...

Poor pumpkin!

-- Katherine