Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Createable Stories

 Sam likes to be "creatable" and "creationary" and "creatistic"

Last night we snuggled under the covers on Sam's bed and, upon request, I made up a story about a squirrel that collected 150 acorns and then lived in a tree for winter, looking outside every day to see the snow, eating an acorn and then going back to sleep.  Wake up, look outside, eat an acorn, go back to sleep.  Every day.  Until the snow melted and the winter was over and he could go outside and play with the other squirrels.  Sam then told me a story about a wolf pup living in the ground for the winter, and when I asked him the pup's name, he told me Grandma. 

Now we are in the car rushing along highway 35 ten miles an hour over the speed limit.  We are late because, well, just because we have two small children in our household who do not want to wake up and get dressed at 6am.  In the back seat Eva is singing her version of the ABCs and Sam asks if I want to hear a story.  He says he likes being "creatable."

"Once there was this ant and he was crawling around and he found an egg and then he said 'Hey. This is not an egg. It’s a nut.' So he ate it. And then he found another one and he ate it. And then he found another one and he ate it.  And another another another and every every every day he found another nut and nut and nut. And he kept eating them and eating them and eating them every every every day. Nut nut nut nut nut. And then one day it was spring and he went out looking and found a peach instead. And he said he was glad it was spring because he likes peaches and he wants to eat peaches.  And then every day he would eat another peach.  And another another another.  Every every every day.  Peach peach peach.  And another and another and another.  Peach peach peach.  Every every every day for ever and ever and ever and ever.  Every day.  The end."

"Wow," I say looking at him in the rear view mirror. His story reminds me of the story-telling post I read when Crappy Pictures' Amber Dusick guest posted on another blog last year.  "That was a good story. I like that one."

"I have another one," he says and then he lowers his voice and whispers "but I can’t tell you that one yet."

"You do?"

"Yah. It’s a super good one about a penguin that likes to eat peaches."

"Peaches?  Penguins eat peaches?!"

"Yah. It’s about two peaches that are walking around and then these two penguins start following them and the peaches say 'Hey why are you following me? Stop following me.' It’s a super cool story but I can’t tell the whole story. You have to wait until bed time."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How adorable is he? Sooooooooooo cute.

Laraf123 said...

What an amazing and truly talented son you have!