Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Discovering



We are out in the yard on the north side of the house, and although the sun is out the temperature is comfortable.  We spent the morning digging up the sod surrounding the septic system tanks, and now Sam is helping me pick up the pieces of sod left behind in the area where our new native prairie garden will go.  It is heavy, back-challenging work, and he's been excited to bend and lift and carry large chunks of sod to show me how strong he is.  I dig with the spade and throw each new chunk onto the cement tank so that the topsoil loosens and falls.  And Sam picks up the chunks of sod and moves them to a wheelbarro.  Once in a while he stops to play in the dirt, dig for worms, shake his sandbox toy to filter rocks and little treasures from the finer particles.

"I'm discovering, Mom," he says.

"You are?"

"I'm a discoverer."

"You sure are!"

"When I get big I want to be an airplane driver and a cop and a discoverer.  I'm good at discovering."

He sure is.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these photos and your adventures in your own yard. Let's hope that soil is safe from septic tank messes.:)

Laraf123 said...

A native prairie garden? That's going to be awesome!

mel said...

Your backyard is amazing... I want to go "discovering" out there, too! What a view...!!

Shannon Ralph said...

Those pictures are awesome!

By the way, this article was on the front page of the Minneapolis Star Tribune this morning. Made me think of you and your wondeful little family. :)

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/158322785.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue