Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Graduation Day

Today I had my 7-week ultrasound with Dr. Malo-- as he called it "Graduation Day." As of today I'm officially done with the Center for Reproductive Medicine, and the only way I will need to see Dr. Malo again is if I want to go back and make another baby.

I was watching his face when he first pulled up the images on the screen, nervous that he was going to find no baby, no heartbeat. But he quickly turned the screen so I could see a bright pulsing dot in the middle of a kidney-shaped cloudy image. He pointed out the big black circle of the gestational sac, and moved the ultrasound to measure the little blob that will become baby. Crown to rump length was about 9.9-10.5mm which is a little over a third of an inch. Perfectly normal for a 7 week gestational age. The trace of the heartbeat showed a healthy 150... a normal fetal heart rate. I had to hold back tears because I really don't know Dr. Malo, and despite what many of you have seen to the contrary, I'm not usually very emotional in front of people I don't know well.

Actually I haven't had any of the big emotional symptoms that everyone has predicted. I get pretty irritated with slow drivers in the fast lane and people who still write checks in line at the grocery store, but that's normal Barb operational mode. As a matter of fact, I just came from Kohl's (where I went to buy some shirts that might fit me for the customer visits I have next week since all of my tops seem to pull on my expanding chest---how is that possible?) and despite all my efforts to be calm and patient and sweet, I eventually wanted to slug the old woman in front of me that insisted that the coffee maker she was buying was advertised as being 99 cents cheaper than what it rang up as. Note to self: do not shop at Kohl's during their One Day Senior Citizens Sale when pregnant. Or actually, ever.

My love affair with milk has ended. I still drink a couple of glasses a day, but I seem to get very full very quickly, and milk is not always appealing. My most noticeable pregnancy symptom continues to be the sense of smell that really is incredible. It keeps me from walking through the kitchen because I am absolutely convinced there is something dying in the drain of my sink.

Morning sickness continues, though nothing too terrible. I've found if I keep food in my tummy I'm okay. But there are definitely foods I can't stomach. Suddenly deli turkey is the most disgusting thing on the planet. Yesterday I had to pull the turkey off my sandwich and eat just lettuce, tomato and mayo or I wasn't going to get anything in.

I'm exhausted and queasy all the time, and I spend more time walking back and forth to the bathroom than I would have believed possible (why, oh why, do I have to get up to pee every two hours at night?), but I am absolutley thrilled and excited. After seeing the heartbeat I am beaming! It finally feels real, and I'm so grateful to have so many of you that have been supportive and encouraging through this incredible journey.

Official due date: Christmas. :)

No comments: