Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flying Ponies

On our way in to town this morning, Sammy and I were talking about the clouds. We were winding along highway 35 between the Nathan Wolfe Memorial Wildlife area where Sam recently told me “things that suck your blood live” and the Trempealeau Wildlife Refuge where Sam says “that funny duck with the big head swims.” A half dozen white egrets stretched their necks to fish near the wild celery, and a few others sat in the crooks of a dead tree that reflected on the water. As our Subaru slowed to let a train clear the tracks in front of us and the bright sunlight behind us created dramatic whites and grays on the clouds hanging over the bluffs, Sam told me you can’t move clouds with your mouth like you can the fuzzy tips of dandelions.

See the rest here.

My amazing friend Katherine who is taking some time off to welcome her new son and prepare for her book to be released in October, asked me to write a guest post for her, and I was honored.

2 comments:

Laraf123 said...

Not only is this a beautiful description of a conversation with your son (yay for his creative imagination!) but it's also a wonderful description of the the beauty of nature all around you. Thanks for sharing!

Megsie said...

I love that comparison between dandelions and clouds. I have never put the two together. We have never had flying ponies here, but we have wished that the car would fly. "Just as long as all the other cars can't, mommy. Just our car." I know I have felt that way too--especially when we are late!