The show lasted 20 minutes, but the memories will last a lifetime. This was the first year Sam has actually been awake for the fireworks our neighbors shoot off in the backyard during their annual family party, but he'd been excited about it all day. He talked about it while we were in the pool and while we were eating burgers and while he and Ham were running around the yard shooting each other with water blasters. He shivered with excitement when I told him that he had to get out of the pool and dry off before the show started. He told me "this is a good spot" as he pulled his little blue adirondack up next to me on the porch when the first warning shot of the evening went off. And from the very first light explosion, Sammy was riveted. Wow! Whoa! Wow! That was a big one! That was a loud one! That one went really super high! Eva slept through the entire show, and I even went to make sure she was still breathing because I didn't think anyone could sleep through the mortar rounds just 50 yards from our house. But she'd had a long day in the heat, and she, like her big brother during previous years, was nearly comatose throughout the entire evening. When I attempted to put Sam to bed at 11pm (with friends still sitting in lawn chairs surrounding citronella candles and whipping glow sticks into circles), he laid down next to me and said "Mommy, I love fireworks!" He wanted to know if we could have them at his birthday party and why he had to go to bed when everyone else was staying up. So up he got, and I let him snack on cheese and chips and popsicles and show off his dinosaur toys and his Paper Jam guitar to the big boys in the kitchen until the last guests left around midnight. An evening I'll never forget.
Cooling off in the pool
Ham grabs dinner before the show
Ready for fireworks
One last dip in the pool before the show
Sam shares glow sticks after the showHere are some brief snapshots of Sammy watching his first fireworks show up close.





7 comments:
Very cool! Wish I could have made it!
I wish I could have made it as well. I ended up being like Eva and crashed about 8:30!
What a lovely evening! My kids love fireworks too :)
Looks like a grand time!
Wonderful pictures! Sounds like a fun evening for everyone. :)
That was so much fun! Thanks for having us over for the event. We had a great time!!!
What a wonderful way to celebrate friends and family--my boys have not seen fireworks yet but I look forward to sharing a similar of evening with them someday!
Post a Comment