Thursday, July 28, 2011

Distraction


My cell shows that the Saturday night call lasted twenty-nine seconds. Twenty-nine seconds in which I said nothing but “Hello” and then Mom told me that she had driven herself to the ER and that she “almost called an ambulance and it was probably a mistake to drive myself but I was in so much intense pain and I threw up and I just wanted to get here and I’m calling to tell you to keep your phone on in case something happens.” She was panting as if she had just finished sprinting. And then she hung up. I didn’t get to say anything else. Just hello.

Read the rest here.

2 comments:

Megsie said...

Oh, my gosh Barb! I am so glad that everything is okay. How scary. And, to be that helpless...can't leave, can't find any information...I can't imagine. Thank goodness everything turned out alright.

Laraf123 said...

How absolutely terrifying. One of my nightmares of course, as an only child SMC with aging parents who live apart and many miles away. I'm so very glad that your mom is on the mend. You handled the unsettling situation so well in front of your son. Thank you for sharing.