Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Field Guide Giveaway


Buy this book.

Now.

Or enter my drawing for a free copy.

It is a beautiful book from my friend Christina that reminds us to focus and appreciate the now.  In its rich essays and gorgeous artwork and simple instructions, it inspires us to make the most of every moment, to remember that the small, detailed moments in life are bigger than we realize, to believe that mess and chaos have meaning, to reach for and find a valuable life.

An excerpt from the essay on Attention:

     "Be ready for this: There will always be days when nothing happens---days when you forget, or simply don't care.  For me there are mornings when dawn arrives abruptly with the knobby knees of my son and my thoughts scatter before I can begin.  There are other days when my mind resists waking altogether, and I burrow down deeper under the covers, sliding backwards into dreams.  And of course, there are also many days when, although I am upright with coffee in my hands, I'm gone already, distracted with lists or in a rush.
     It doesn't matter.
     What matters is simply this: your intent to claim the day with gusto and bravery and longing.  What matters is waking up and asking What can I be today?, and then devoting a small handful of moments to this task of wonderment.  That is all.
     Go slowly as you begin the day, with the fragments of things just as they are.  Your un-vacuumed floor, your rumpled sheets, your water glass smudged where your lips touched the rim.  Go slowly and take notice.  Feel the palm of the morning pressed against your cheek and revel in the first new rose of dawn.  Wake up and allow your heart to swell with wonder."

I love this beautiful book so much that I will give away three copies.  To be entered into a random drawing for one of these copies, use the comments to tell me what you last noticed, some small thing that you saw or heard or smelled that caught your attention.  Take a few moments to pay attention to your life.


11 comments:

Unknown said...

The last thing I noticed was that my 2 year old was copying my mannerisms. I realized that everything I do/don't do, say/don't say is being studied, shaping what she will do and be. No gesture, comment, action, etc is too small. It all matters...to her. It is all being taken in.

Megsie said...

What a lovely quote! I should be getting my copy in the mail soon...I hope! I can't wait to read it. I noticed how my favorite mornings begin with time. I love having quiet time to read all of my virtual friend's words and linger over their messages. No need to enter me into your drawing, I will have my copy soon enough.

Anonymous said...

So weird as I just wrote about this on another blog. I saw the most amazing spider web as I was opening my car door just to the left of the car. I ran into the house to take a photo and it wouldn't work no matter what angle I tried. When I returned home the web and all it's glory was gone but captured in my mind.

Tara Jo said...

I am not copying the above comment I promise! But mine is also about a spider web...the one that I actually captured the other day. Ever since I started doing a picture every day I have noticed more and more little details.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the longing to be with my son because of his sweet, cuddly nature that I miss when I am at work and then later when talking to a co-worker the sweetness of autistic children came up again!

Barb said...

Just a reminder that if you enter a comment and want to win the free book, I need to know who you are. :)

Denise said...

I made this comment while at work and it wanted me to sign in with my work account, so had to do anonymous until I could log on with my home account.

Denise said...

I made this comment while at work and it wanted me to sign in with my work account, so had to do anonymous until I could log on with my home account.

Angie Shea said...

Sounds like a great book with a very powerful message. Life is so busy sometimes, and we all need reminders of the importance of each day.

Lisa Gray said...

I noticed the breeze ruffling my curtains while I was writing and I stopped because I just liked how it looked. There are too many times when I catch things, but don't actually stop. I know I would be happier if I did. Lately, I have been saying out loud what I see, even if it makes me look crazy. I figure if I say it, I might pause a bit longer.

Tara Jo said...

So...who wins? If I don't win I need to buy this book!